Wednesday

A mixed media canvas using leftover lace and fabric


Mixed-media-canvas-with-leftover-lace-and-fabric

So the little bits and pieces of lace and fabric that I have been "saving for a rainy day" have been driving me a little crazy of late. Too pretty to throw away and too small to work into any project....or so I thought....*lightbulb moment*


I decided to adhere them on an 8x8 canvas (with matte medium). Then I painted over it with a coat of white gesso and I got a great textured surface to work with.


I went over the surface with gold paint, leaving some parts unpainted, then added some Golden glass bead gel with The Crafter's Workshop stencil. I defined the stenciled image by adding a layer of Inka Gold in old silver over the raised areas.


I used a remnant pearlescent fabric as the base for my embellishment clusters. Love the sheen and texture it adds to the piece.


Can you tell from the finished product that background was a mish mash of lace pieces in different colours? *winks*

Playing along with ARTastic challenge to make the background a feature. Here's the inspiration picture:



Share/Bookmark

Pin It

20 comments:

SD pooja said...

GLAMOROUS...the gold paint with glass bead gel awesome and not to forget the pretty embellishments !

Heather McMahon said...

Wow - I adore this! That lace background is a stunner and I love your finishing touches as well.

Lizzy Hill said...

I cannot believe that that lace is what you started with! AMazing transformation...gorgeous result!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I thought it was all the same color until you pointed it out! LOL!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this! LOVING the textures and the flowers!!!!!!1

Karon said...

How you make a pile of left over bits and pieces into a work of art, always amazes me - this is stunning! TFS

Sandy said...

First of all, I love the name of your blog.
What a wonderful idea to use all those bits and pieces of lace. Makes for a fabulous textured background!
Sandy xx

Jane said...

Just beautiful Yvonne, so delicate yet vibrant and alive. A stunning piece. Many thanks for sharing with us on ARTastic.

chilli pip said...

Wow that is fabulous . So pleased you shared the making of it as well , so I can pick up a few tips!

Audrey Pettit said...

Omgosh, no... I would never guess this was a mish mash of scrap pieces! What a brilliant idea, my friend! And what a beautiful canvas! I adore all that shiny gold, and as always, you're embellishing is just so unique and so perfect!

Lisa said...

Absolutely stunning!! You did an amazing job with scrap pieces!! The flowers are so beautiful!! I just adore this -- it's so gorgeous!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Annette Allen said...

I love how you piece everything together.. fabulous canvas..

HappyMomentzz by Sharada Dilip said...

wow amazing creation !

Unknown said...

You certainly live by your motto "Do more with less" Yvonne ..... love what you've don with the background. Thanks for sharing your beautiful project with us at ARTastic.

Deb said...

WOW! You have created such a beautiful canvas. The background work is amazing. Thanks for joining in with us at ARTastic.

Dolly B said...

Such a fabulous use of your pretty bits and pieces. I love the gold painted over the top and what a beautiful art piece you have now . Thank you for sharing with us at ARTastic
Mary

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW what a stunning project this is Yvonne and Thank you so much for sharing the scrap lace idea...I have so many pieces I cant bear to throw away too
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

So beautiful, love the lace background texture.

Cindy deRosier said...

Wow! Great job using up those itty-bitty scraps!

Elaine said...

Love, Love, love your background. A beautiful idea and the finish look is amazing. Topped with such pretty embellishments. Well done, a creation to treasure. Thank you for joining in with us at ARTastic this month.

Jo said...

I just love it when I have a light bulb moment :D I'm glad that you found a use for all the pretty lace and you've done a wonderful job on this background. Thanks for joining in at ARTastic :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It